Jalisco Dream Cocktail Recipe
Our SaloonBox team recently made a trip to the Jalisco region of Mexico to learn more about what sets high quality tequila apart from the rest. Here are some take aways:
- Quality tequila is made from agave sourced from one location to better control the quality.
- Quality tequila is made from 100% blue agave. Not some combination of blue agave and cheap sugar cane based liquor or some other fermented liquor.
- Agave plants used to produce tequila should be allowed to grow for 8-10 years before reaching peak ripeness for harvest. Some mass-produced tequilas speed up this process by using chemicals, compromising the flavor the agave plant imparts on the tequila.
- Mass produced tequilas also may use chemicals to speed up the fermentation process, but higher quality tequilas allow time for natural fermentation, thereby further enhancing the flavor.
- Through multiple filtrations, the “heads” and “tails” of the tequila are separated, leaving only the clear pure tequila. This makes for a smoother end result.
One tequila that we have come to enjoy is Azunia because of the authenticity of its production process. Made in small batches and hand-bottled, Azuñia uses 100% organic blue agave and meets all of the requirements for a quality tequila outlined above.
First prep your glasses. Spread the hibiscus salt on a small plate. Run a wedge of lime around the rims of each glass. Turn the glass upside-down onto the plate and gently roll until the rim is sufficiently coated with salt. Add ice to each glass.
Add the tequila, fruit nectar, agave syrup, and lime juice to your shaker. Fill your shaker with ice until it is 2/3 full, seal it tight, and shake vigorously for 20 seconds. Strain into your two prepped glasses.